Here's to progress and not just planning...
- finally updated on Feb 28, 2016
Change all the locks (to the same key - 4 door locks, 4 keys, 2 of which we've never had....) NEW - fix front door locks, so they actually work properly. Didn't know this until today (6 months after moving in....!)Completed! Marked where the bolts go, took off the plates, chiseled out more of the frame, touched up the paint and put the plates back on. Perfect! Until #3 happened...
- NEW - Add weather protection strip around front door - sort of completed - put it on, but now the front door is very very hard to close (ie all body weight against it to lock it!). Must have another look at where to place the weather stripping.
Change the back door handleWe had to do this when my sister locked us out of our own home... Add screen to barred window in landingThis is a project my husband did! Add a fire pit
- Add screen door to back door
Replace hinge on shedand get new lock PaintRe-line the shed
washerand dryer Install a clothesline in the basement Build a shelf under the stairs for skates and camping equipment Install a clothesline outside Fix door seal on back door Finish the set of mosaic tables(never going to happen, lost all interest!)
diningliving room window to have an opening Add a shower bathroom downstairsCan't - our basement ceiling is too low to accommodate a proper legal bathroom Move the furnaceDone! Completed during summer 2014 Build a wall in the basement with the vents insideDone! Completed during fall 2014!
- Line walls of basement to insulate
Put flooring in basement to insulateDone! We completed this in fall 2014, in the portion of the basement that we use regularly (train room side)
- Take out concrete laundry sink - bought a laundry sink for $15 which is a step towards completing this project. Not done - but the plan is the move the soapstone sink and raise it rather than get rid of it. That was the hubby's input, which is fine since he does the laundry!
- Build laundry room - sort of next on the list.
- Move dryer vent to near laundry - part of the whole laundry build
- Fix window with old dryer vent
Change the cover on the top of the benchCompleted!!
- Fix upstairs hallway light issue - done!
- Redo the whole bathroom - see this post about the problems with the bathroom
Change the layout Add a shower New vanity Strip walls right back Update the pipework Insulate and reline the walls Tile the floor Underfloor heating(? - no) Decided not to do. Somewhat regret that now! Refinish or clean until done the clawfoot tubtub is currently sitting on the front lawn Paint the bottom of the clawfoot like this (not red though, maybe green?)
Change the bathtub fittings(see #9 above) Put the light switch IN the bathroom (seriously, in the hallway, how does this make sense?!) Fix the power socket
- Add a towel rail to the bathroom
- Redo the whole kitchen
- Update the flooring - didn't update yet, but removed two layers of old linoleum
Replace all the pipes Reorganize
- Add a range hood
Replace the pipe to the house (if it is lead. It is lead.)- BUT decided to instead add water filtration. Cheaper, easier and targeted.
- Strip window sills back to wood - the more I live here, the less I want to do this.
Repaint white parts of stairsDecided to strip them back to wood - completed! Strip out “the green room” back to wood, insulate, reline, paintCompleted March 2015
- Close off the cupboard in craft room, make green room cupboard bigger, add organiser/shelving - partially completed - the office side no, but the bedroom side yes
Add power points in green room under roof slope- yes! Completed March 2015 Build or buy a sewing deskCompleted!
- Add power points in craft room under roof slope
Strip out “popcorn ceiling” in staircase
- replace with beadboard - nope, just drywall
- add crown molding - decided not to
- Strip out “popcorn ceiling” in living room and dining - not yet. And likely not a priority for now
- replace with beadboard
- add crown molding
Change light fittings living room dining room hallway near stairs
- Build cupboards under stairs instead of weird walk-in pantry - decided to keep walk-in pantry and embrace it
- Replace tiles in the back landing - still needs to happen. Each time we vaccuum, more come up!
Install the outside back door light- on sensor? Clean out the gutters and buy and add gutter guardThis was a team effort with Kirk and I (mostly because I was afraid of the height. They were FULL and even had baby trees growing in them. Day long effort well worth it. Cost was 2 boxes of gutter guard (we had 1) and renting a VERY long ladder from Home Depot for a long weekend. Replace front porch door with door with window to let light in – 34 x 82Done (can't remember when right now). What a huge difference to the look and the light. Insulate under front porch floor Take off side wall of under front porch(only had to cut a hole for access) Rebuild side wall with gated/locked entrance Insulate the flooring